Most crimes fall into two classifications: misdemeanors and felonies. A misdemeanor means that although the crime is considered less serious than a felony, you may still face jail time up to one year. Do not take Connecticut misdemeanor charges lightly. When you contact our firm, we can help make sure you understand your options and have the legal protection you need.
We also defend individuals facing felony charges. A felony charge not only carries a significant period of incarceration, but conviction can haunt you for the rest of your life. Before speaking with law enforcement about allegations or prosecutors about charges, it is important to talk with a lawyer to make sure you understand your rights. We can provide the representation you need at any step in the process.
Affordable Criminal Defense
If you are caught in the legal system, you may be worried about finding the aggressive representation you need. Many people worry that they will not be able to afford New Haven criminal defense attorneys. At our firm, Law Office of Jack O’Donnell, L.L.C., that is not the experience you will have. We believe high quality representation should be available to all individuals, and we are committed to providing affordable criminal defense. We defend individuals throughout Connecticut who are facing felony or misdemeanor charges, including:
- Drug offenses: Drug possession and drug trafficking are serious criminal charges. Drug charges require experienced legal representation. We defend individuals who are facing charges for possession, sales, manufacture and distribution.
- Weapon charges: We defend individuals who are facing charges for gun offenses, including weapon in a motor vehicle, criminal possession of a firearm, illegal sale or transfer of a firearm, felon in possession of a firearm and possession of a pistol without a permit.
- Traffic violations: Traffic violations, such as operating under suspension and evading responsibility, can result in jail time, large fines and suspended licenses. When you contact our firm, we can help protect your license and minimize the charges you face.
- DWI/DUI: The drunk driving laws in Connecticut are strict and the penalties severe. We can examine all your possibilities and provide you with experienced, effective and affordable legal representation. We work with clients to protect their driving privileges, including permits to and from work and school.
- Domestic violence: There are situations where people are accused of assaulting a family member or significant other. People get in positions where their emotions escalate out of control. If a neighbor witnesses part of a heated argument, or a spouse calls the police in retaliation, there may be more perceived violence than actual violence. If you were arrested for domestic violence, it is important to contact a defense attorneys who can fight to protect your rights.
- Probation violations: Quite often, people on probation get charged for non-reporting, dirty urine samples, failure to comply with court-imposed conditions such as restitution, and/or for new criminal activity. If you are worried about going to jail because of a probation violation, we can help. We may be able to negotiate to restore or extend your probation or defend you at a violation hearing.